Westwego Car Accident Overview
America’s roads have become increasingly hazardous, thanks in large part to the increasing number of distracted drivers. According to Property Casualty Insurers (PCI), more than 40,000 people die in traffic accidents across the United States each year. Louisiana is no exception, seeing an increase in vehicle collisions across the state. In fact, the number of fatal crashes in the state of Louisiana is above the national average—and the frequency of collisions in the state is significantly higher than the national average.
Some of the reasons for these higher numbers could be the level of traffic across the state. In the city of New Orleans, there are 45 hours of traffic delays per auto each year, and there is no cell phone ban except in school zones and for teen drivers. Louisiana also has one of the highest rates in the nation for unrestrained drivers and passengers, plus a significant number of impaired drivers. If you have been involved in a Westwego car accident, it is imperative that you have a strong car accident lawyer on your side from start to finish.
Why Choose New Orleans Legal for Your Westwego Car Accident?
Following a Westwego car accident, you may be facing an uncertain future. You may have suffered serious injuries as a result of the accident—so serious that you have been forced to miss work and lose your normal income. Attorney Peter Diiorio is a consummate problem-solver who never hesitates to seek justice for his clients, even when that means going up against a big insurance company.
It is simply not enough to just hope the insurance company pays you what your car accident is worth. The business model of all insurance companies is to pay out as little as possible on claims, thus boosting their annual profits. Mr. Diiorio will fight for justice on your behalf, ensuring you receive a settlement that is fair and fully covers all your injuries and damages. If you want an attorney who is committed to looking out for your best interest, you need Peter Diiorio and New Orleans Legal.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Alcohol plays a devastating role in many of the motor vehicle accidents that occur in New Orleans. That being said, the number of impaired drivers arrested for DWI has actually decreased since 2016. Other factors associated with car accidents in Westwego and the New Orleans area include the following:
- Distracted driving is a serious issue in Louisiana just as it is across the nation. In areas that have high levels of tourist traffic, distracted driving accidents are even more common. Drivers may be looking for a destination, trying to read a map or GPS, eating, texting, or talking on their phones. A car accident can happen in an instant when drivers are distracted.
- Aggressive driving behaviors are responsible for a significant number of car accidents. Exceeding the speed limit, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and refusing to yield to other vehicles can all lead to serious car accidents.
- Drowsy or fatigued driving is a much more serious issue than it once was. Many adults today suffer chronic insomnia, leading to overly tired drivers. According to the National Safety Council, about 1 in 25 adult drivers admit to falling asleep while driving within the prior 30 days. Driving while drowsy is similar to driving under the influence. The driver’s reaction times, awareness of hazards, and ability to sustain attention all decrease when a driver is overly fatigued. In fact, driving after going for 20 hours without sleep is the equivalent of driving with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent. Drivers who are fatigued and drowsy are three times as likely to be involved in a car crash than drivers who are well-rested.
How Do I Prove I Was Not at Fault in My Westwego Car Accident?
The state of Louisiana operates under pure comparative negligence regarding car accidents. This means that a plaintiff may recover damages, even if they are assigned 99 percent fault for the accident—in such a case, the plaintiff could still recover 1 percent of the damages assessed from the defendant (Your recovery is reduced by your degree of fault in the accident). In a fault-based system, car accident victims must establish the following in order to file a car accident claim against the other driver:
- The driver (defendant) had a duty of care to other drivers on the roadways.
- The driver breached their duty of care.
- This breach of duty of care caused injuries to another driver.
- The plaintiff’s injuries caused measurable damages.
A Westwego car accident attorney from New Orleans Legal will conduct a thorough investigation to determine what caused the accident that left you injured. Your attorney will then fight zealously for the compensation you need and deserve.
What Can a Westwego Car Accident Attorney Do for You?
When you get a Westwego car accident attorney on board as quickly as possible following your accident, your car accident claim will benefit in many different ways. Your attorney will organize and analyze all the key evidence and records related to your car collision. This includes:
- Obtaining all necessary evidence that will allow fault to be clearly assigned
- Organizing all medical records and medical expenses
- Communicating with your healthcare providers to obtain necessary records
- Working with your doctors to ensure all medical information is complete, and that a prognosis for future medical treatments is provided
- Communicating and negotiating with the other driver’s insurance company to reach an equitable settlement
- Negotiating with lien holders on your claim (health insurers, health care providers, disability, or workers’ compensation) to potentially reduce the amount of those liens
- Helping you receive the medical treatments you need
How an Attorney from New Orleans Legal Can Help
With a deep belief in the power of team effort, attorney Peter J. Diiorio works closely with his team of professionals to ensure you are fully protected following your Westwego car accident. New Orleans Legal has a wide network of doctors who can treat your injuries, investigators who can help prove liability, as well as experts in accident reconstruction. Peter Diiorio concentrates on injury cases so he can help those who are struggling following a car accident. If you have been injured in a Westwego car accident, are facing medical expenses and lost wages, and have pain and suffering resulting from the accident, Peter can help. Lives are often changed forever in the instant it takes for a car accident to occur. When you are hurting financially, physically, and emotionally, unsure of where to turn, contact Attorney Peter J. Diiorio.