New Orleans Personal Injury Attorney
Unfortunately, in our current society, mishaps and accidents are fairly commonplace. Sometimes, an accident is just an accident, and nobody is really to blame. Other times, accidents are the result of negligence on the part of another person or an entity. When an individual is injured as the result of another’s negligence, they can be left to face medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering through no fault of their own. If this happens, it’s important to contact a New Orleans personal injury attorney like Peter Diiorio.
What is a Personal Injury Claim?
A personal injury claim is a legal dispute arising when someone suffers harm from an accident caused by another individual or entity. When such an accident occurs, the negligent party may be legally responsible for the resulting harm. A personal injury claim is formalized when a personal injury lawyer—such as Peter J. Diiorio from New Orleans Legal—represents the injured party in a civil court proceeding. While most disputes of this kind are resolved through informal settlement, others will be decided in a courtroom.
The attorney for the injured will allege the other party acted negligently and resulted in an accident with injuries. It is imperative those who have suffered an injury from another’s negligence have a New Orleans strong personal injury attorney. Their attorney will protect their rights and future, negotiating an agreement or litigating the case in court.
New Orleans Legal, LLC Accident Injury Services
New Orleans Legal, LLC handles a variety of personal injury claims, including the following:
- Car Accidents—Car accidents are the primary source of personal injury claims. Car accident victims may face mounting medical bills, severe injuries, inability to work, and life that is never the same. Read a New Orleans Legal accident case result, here.
- Truck Accidents—Truck accidents are unique in that the injuries are often severe or even fatal. There may be several different parties to hold accountable for the accident. For example, the driver, the trucking company, the loading company, the maintenance company, or even the truck or parts manufacturer.
- Motorcycle Accidents – Due to the nature of a motorcycle, the injuries after a motorcycle accident can be quite devastating and life-altering, learn more about how we can help you, here.
- Wrongful Death—When an individual dies as the result of a personal injury, the claim becomes a wrongful death case. These are filed by family members or the personal representative of the decedent’s estate.
- Premise Liability—Slip and fall accidents—as well as other types of accidents—may fall under premise liability law. Owners of properties are required under the law to maintain the property in a reasonably safe manner. When they do not, and an accident occurs, a premise liability claim may be filed. View a slip and fall case result won by Peter Diiorio, here.
- Drunk Driving Claims—When an individual is injured by a drunk driver, they must prove fault, as with any other personal injury claim. This is generally not all that difficult, particularly if the driver was charged and convicted of driving under the influence.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Claims—When a negligent driver hits another driver, the insurance company of the negligent driver should pay the damages. Unfortunately, some drivers either have no auto insurance at all, or their policy will not fully cover the damages (underinsured). It is essential to have a knowledgeable New Orleans personal injury attorney in such a situation.
Is a Personal Injury Attorney Necessary?
Many people balk at hiring a personal injury attorney simply because they don’t want to share their award. But, there are so many reasons to contact a personal injury attorney after an accident with injuries caused by negligence. First and foremost, when an insurance company is dealing with an unrepresented individual, they will almost certainly attempt to make a quick, low settlement—one that might not even cover the medical expenses for the injured person. Consider the following:
- Personal injury attorneys know the laws pertaining to the accident. Every accident is different, meaning many different laws can apply. A personal injury attorney brings extensive knowledge of these laws to the table.
- A personal injury claim can be extremely stressful. Yet, a personal injury attorney will shoulder that stress, handling all the legal aspects, which allows the injured person the time needed to heal physically and mentally.
- Those injured by negligence are much more likely to receive an equitable settlement when an experienced personal injury attorney is involved.
- If the accident involved catastrophic injuries or was the result of a truck accident, it is even more important that injured individuals are properly represented by a personal injury attorney, due to the extra complexities associated with such accidents.
- A personal injury attorney only receives money when the claim is successful. Personal injury claims are usually taken on a contingency basis, meaning while the attorney will receive a percentage of the final award, the client pays nothing up front, allowing justice truly to be served for all.
- A personal injury attorney has objectivity regarding personal injury claims and knows when alternative dispute resolution is appropriate.
- A personal injury attorney has a history of working with other attorneys and judges, as well as with insurance companies.
What Are Catastrophic Injuries?
Any injury which has a serious, long-term effect on the victim is considered catastrophic. In cases where the injured party does not receive an equitable settlement, the emotional, physical, and financial aftermath can be truly devastating. In many cases, the victim of the accident will require supervision, rehabilitation, and assistance for the rest of their life. This can put considerable stress on family members as well as the injured individual. Some of the most common catastrophic injuries include:
- Severe burns
- Injuries to the back and spinal cord
- Serious neck injuries
- Brain trauma
- Damage to internal organs
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia
A person who suffers a catastrophic injury may lose the ability to work, meaning they will no longer bring in a regular paycheck to help support themselves and their family members. The victim of a catastrophic injury may lose the ability to perform day-to-day tasks, even as simple as bathing, eating, and dressing. Those who have experienced a catastrophic accident should seek help from an experienced personal injury attorney from New Orleans Legal as soon as possible. Catastrophic accidents are full of complexities, and insurance companies may offer a quick settlement to avoid paying for years of rehabilitation and medical expenses.
Getting Help with an Injury Claim from New Orleans Legal
Those who have suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of another will appreciate the dedication of the New Orleans Legal attorneys. Peter Diiorio deeply believes in the tagline—Solving Problems, Making Things Right. Peter Diiorio at New Orleans Legal truly cares about his clients, always putting them first. The team at New Orleans Legal works hard to develop a personalized understanding of how they can help clients—what they need and how those needs can be met. This means attorney Peter Diiorio gets to know his clients, even visiting them when they are unable to come to him and seeing each client’s case through to the end, no matter the odds or the costs. Contact New Orleans Legal today for your free and confidential personal injury consultation.