Overview of Kenner Truck Accidents
In 2021, there were 90 fatal truck accidents in the state of Louisiana, along with 2,094 truck accidents that caused serious injury. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), while heavy commercial trucks make up less than 5 percent of all registered vehicles in the nation, they account for more than 13 percent of all fatal U.S. crashes in 2020. More than seven in ten individuals killed in a truck accident were those in the smaller passenger vehicle rather than the truck driver.
There are many different types of truck accidents, including truck rollovers. Large commercial trucks have a higher center of gravity than standard passenger vehicles, making it easier for them to roll over when making a sudden swerve or going around a sharp turn. If the driver is driving too fast, a rollover is even more likely as the trailer flips, rolling the entire truck onto its side, creating a serious hazard for other drivers on the road. Other types of truck accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions—When an 80,000-pound truck rear-ends a smaller vehicle in front of the truck, the injuries are likely to be severe. If a smaller vehicle rear-ends a truck, the underride bar is meant to prevent the car from going under the truck. Unfortunately, many underride bars are not as strong as they should be.
- Head-on collisions can occur when the truck driver is negligent, distracted, reckless, or falls asleep at the wheel. Head-on collisions are typically catastrophic or fatal.
- Jackknife accidents occur when the truck driver makes an improper turn or braking maneuver, causing the trailer to swing wide, creating a “V.” The unpredictability of the skidding trailer makes this a particularly dangerous type of accident.
- T-bone accidents occur when a truck broadsides a smaller passenger car, or vice versa. T-bone accidents usually occur at intersections.
- Wide turn accidents occur when a large truck and trailer are making a tight right-hand turn. The driver must swing the cab wide to the left to avoid a right-hand “squeeze,” which occurs when a smaller vehicle is caught between the truck and the curb.
Any type of collision between a large truck and a smaller passenger vehicle is likely to cause severe injuries to those in the smaller vehicle. Because of this, truck drivers owe a special duty of care to other drivers.
Why Choose New Orleans Legal for Your Kenner Truck Accident?
No matter what type of truck accident caused your injuries, you could benefit greatly from having a strong Kenner truck accident attorney by your side. You should not be held financially responsible for a truck accident that was caused by the negligence of another person or entity. Having a highly-skilled truck accident attorney from New Orleans Legal by your side can make a significant difference in the outcome of your Kenner truck accident.
Attorney Peter Diiorio understands that injuries from a truck accident can affect every aspect of your life—from your normal day-to-day activities to your future. Peter can help you find the medical treatment you need following your truck accident, then can thoroughly investigate your truck accident, negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf. Talking to an experienced Kenner semi-truck accident lawyer like Peter Diiorio can ensure your future is protected.
Kenner is the largest city in Jefferson Parish with a population of about 67,000. Kenner was originally inhabited by the Tchoupitoulas Indians and was the first land in the New Orleans area that Europeans inhabited, beginning in 1682. Between 1915 and 1931, a New Orleans streetcar line operated between Kenner and New Orleans.
Kenner’s growth really began in the 1950s when developers began draining and filling the swamplands in the northern half of the city, then subdividing those areas. In 1982, Pan Am Flight 759 crashed in a residential area of Kenner, destroying six homes and killing eight people on the ground, as well as those in the airplane.
Today, residents and visitors alike enjoy the largest man-made sand complex–the Coconut Beach Volleyball Complex—a 22-court sand volleyball complex located south of the Pontchartrain Center. Rivertown is a historic district located along the original main street of Old Kenner. Rivertown features museums, shops, and cultural resources, including the Kenner Planetarium and MegaDome Cinema as well as the Rivertown Science Center.
Why You Should Not Try to Deal with an Insurance Company on Your Own After a Kenner Truck Accident
Following a Kenner truck accident, you may be injured, traumatized, and overwhelmed. There are many things you must do as you attempt to move forward with your life. Being able to focus on your healing while an experienced Kenner semi-truck accident lawyer advocates for you can make a huge difference in the process. It’s important to understand that insurance companies make a profit by not paying out what claims are actually worth. They do this in the following ways:
- The insurance company may deny your claim altogether. When this (or any of the following tactics) are used by the insurer, you need an attorney as quickly as possible.
- While the insurance agent may seem as though they truly care about you and your future—don’t be fooled. This is a tactic that is meant to convince you to trust them and accept a lowball offer.
- Making a lowball settlement offer is classic behavior for insurance companies. They know you may be struggling financially, therefore are willing to accept much less than your claim is worth.
- The insurance company may fail to respond to your queries, including phone calls, emails, and texts. You may feel as though you are getting the “run around”—and you would be right. The insurer may be attempting to exceed the statute of limitations, or simply convince you to be more willing to accept an unfair settlement offer.
- Requiring a recorded statement is another typical tactic used by insurers. When you agree to a recorded statement, the insurer may take your words out of context, using them against you to devalue your claim.
- The insurance company may request more and more information—not necessarily because they need the information, but in an attempt to avoid paying out your claim.
- Some insurance companies hire investigators and use surveillance to prove you are not as badly injured as you claim. The investigator may also look at all your social media sites to try and find photos of you engaging in physical activity.
How Do You Select the Right Kenner Truck Accident Attorney?
If you have suffered devastating injury, trauma, and financial decline following your truck accident, you need the right Kenner semi-truck accident lawyer to represent you. Not only will having someone on your side ensure you receive a fair settlement, but it will also alleviate much of the frustration, stress, and aggravation of handling your own case. When you select an attorney, make sure you choose a lawyer that:
- Has experience with truck accidents and the resulting injuries
- Uses contingency fees rather than asking you to pay upfront
- Offers a free comprehensive consultation
- Is trustworthy and someone you can easily talk to
- Has trial experience in the event your case goes to trial
- Is a good communicator
- Ensures you are updated regularly about the progress of your case
Truck accidents are complex, with many potential causes and many potential liable parties. Securing the evidence and proving liability, then negotiating a fair settlement on your behalf is where truck accident attorneys really shine.
How Attorney Peter Diiorio Can Help Following Your Kenner Truck Accident
At New Orleans Legal, attorney Peter Diiorio and his legal team help those who are in need at the time they most need that help. Following a truck accident, you may be seriously injured, unable to work, and dealing with an insurance company that appears to have no interest in your injuries or your future. Attorney Peter Diiorio finances your case, doing everything in his power to secure a settlement that will help you get back to your life. At New Orleans Legal, we will work hard to ensure your medical expenses and lost wages are fully covered, then will focus on your pain and suffering damages. Contact Kenner truck accident attorney Peter Diiorio today!
Learn More About Our Jefferson Parish Truck Accident Services